Splunk Search

Correlate field from earlier event with error

mfrost8
Builder

I have a user who has a need to look for exceptions in a log file, and then figure out what order the error pertained to by looking for the most recently indexed previous event that defined a particular field.

That is, the exception itself won't say anything about the order that caused it, but then again, the line that has the order on it doesn't show the exception (or any error, really). This means I have to somehow tell Splunk to look backwards to find the data (field) that I really need to report on.

How can I do this rather odd request?

thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

emiller42
Motivator

streamstats might actually help here. Add the following to your search (Change fields as needed)

| streamstats last(orderNumber) as last_order 

This will create a new field called last_order for each event which will have the last seen orderNumber up to the point of that event occurring.

So something like this:

_raw=orderNumber=123       last_order=123
_raw=some other message    last_order=123
_raw=orderNumber=456       last_order=456
_raw=another message       last_order=456
_raw=ERROR Message!        last_order=456

Which will associate the last seen order number with the error message even though there's no explicit correlation.

(Note, you can add a 'by' clause to the streamstats if you need to restrict the aggregation somehow, say by host)

Streamstats Documentation

View solution in original post

mfrost8
Builder

I'd thought about that, but there's not much to show. These are really horrible, user-generated "logs". Picture what is effectively a dump of 1 long row from a database (no values) followed by a line or two later (no datestamps!) a java exception.

0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

streamstats might actually help here. Add the following to your search (Change fields as needed)

| streamstats last(orderNumber) as last_order 

This will create a new field called last_order for each event which will have the last seen orderNumber up to the point of that event occurring.

So something like this:

_raw=orderNumber=123       last_order=123
_raw=some other message    last_order=123
_raw=orderNumber=456       last_order=456
_raw=another message       last_order=456
_raw=ERROR Message!        last_order=456

Which will associate the last seen order number with the error message even though there's no explicit correlation.

(Note, you can add a 'by' clause to the streamstats if you need to restrict the aggregation somehow, say by host)

Streamstats Documentation

mfrost8
Builder

Wow. Very nice. I looked at the streamstats command based on a previous post, but I found the fact that it said it was like stats to be confusing as I didn't want any kind of cumulative stats done on the events.

That was what I was looking for. Thanks.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You'd be able to get better help if you include some sample events. It's a bit unclear (to me) how the events are linked together...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...