Splunk Search

Comparision of two fields Splunk

megha0794

Hi ,

Suppose I write a query and if say I have a field (A) and field (B)

A B
1 1,3,4,5,8,9,10
5 1,3,4,5,8,9,10
7 1,3,4,5,8,9,10
2 1,3,4,5,8,9,10

I need to exclude all events where the values in A are a part of the comma separated values in B.
In this case , results should display only where A= 7 and A=2

Any help would be appreciated!
Regards,
Megha

0 Karma
1 Solution

gaurav_maniar
Builder

Hi Megha,

append your existing query with following,

| eval c = if(like(B,"%"+A+"%"),1,0) | where c=1 | fields A, B

It will set value of field "C" to 1 only if A exists in B, than it will search for C=1

Accept and upvote the answer if it helps.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gaurav_maniar
Builder

Hi Megha,

append your existing query with following,

| eval c = if(like(B,"%"+A+"%"),1,0) | where c=1 | fields A, B

It will set value of field "C" to 1 only if A exists in B, than it will search for C=1

Accept and upvote the answer if it helps.

0 Karma

megha0794

Thankyou! This worked 🙂

0 Karma

megha0794

Hi Gaurav,

If say my field value in A does not exactly match with B , then is there a way we can compare and do a match?
For eg:

A
1/text/text2.xlsx
text1/10/text3.xlsx

In both cases as '1' and '10' is a partial match to the comma separated values in B, so it needs to be excluded and say if I have a field value in A like the below - then it needs to be included:

text5/7/text6.xlsx.

In short the match can be in any portion of field A. The values in B will change dynamically and is pulled from lookup which gets appended over time. The ask is actually to compare all individual values in A with all the individual values in a field of the lookup. So in order to compare ,I am trying to merge all values of the field in the lookup and comma separate them to do a comparison with values in A. But the issue here is that the values in A will not be an exact match and there would be some extra text before of after the match. If there is some other way I can do a comparison, please do suggest.

Thanks in advance!
Megha

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@megha0794

Can you please try this?

YOUR_SEARCH | table A B
| eval  flag = mvfind(split(B,","),A)
| where isnull(flag)

My sample search:

| makeresults 
| eval data="1|1,3,4,5,8,9,10&&5|1,3,4,5,8,9,10&&7|1,3,4,5,8,9,10&&2|1,3,4,5,8,9,10",data=split(data,"&&") 
| mvexpand data 
| eval A=mvindex(split(data,"|"),0),B=mvindex(split(data,"|"),1) 
| table A B
| eval  flag = mvfind(split(B,","),A)
| where isnull(flag)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/SearchReference/MultivalueEvalFunctions#mvfind.28...

megha0794

Thankyou! This helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...