Splunk Search

Comparing version number for multiple hosts in index

pl2345
Path Finder

I have an index that ingests scan files and assigns a sourcetype based on the folder location. There are several scans for each host, which caused some issues when I tried to join or append.

I'm trying to build  a search that takes the host, scan, and version in one folder and compares it against the host, scan, and version in the other and create a table with the host, evaluate scan and version, and authoritative scan and version and tell me if we have the most up to date scans in the authoritative folder. What's the best method to create this search?

Example data:

HOST_FQDN: Host1

sourcetype: Evaluate

SCAN: IE11

Version: 2

HOST_FQDN: Host1

sourcetype: Authoritative

SCAN: IE11

Version: 3

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pl2345
Path Finder

That search worked, but I was looking more for a line by line comparison. After taking a step back yesterday I came up with the following that gave me the results I was looking for.

index=foo sourcetype=Evaluate HOST_FQDN=* 
| join type=left HOST_FQDN SCAN 
   [search index=foo sourcetype=Authoritative HOST_FQDN=* 
   | rename sourcetype as "Authoritative Source File", Version as "Authoritative Version"] 
| rename source as "Evaluate Source File", Version as "Evaluate Version"
| table _time, HOST_FQDN, SCAN, "Evaluate Source File", "Evaluate Version", "Authoritative Source File", "Authoritative Version" 
| dedup HOST_FQDN STIG​

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To find instances where the Evaluate version differs from the Authoritative version, try this query.

index=foo HOST_FQDN=* (sourcetype=Evaluate OR sourcetype=Authoritative) SCAN=* Version=*
| stats values(HOST_FQDN) as HOST_FQDN, list(sourcetype) as sourcetype, list(Version) as Version by SCAN
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

pl2345
Path Finder

That search worked, but I was looking more for a line by line comparison. After taking a step back yesterday I came up with the following that gave me the results I was looking for.

index=foo sourcetype=Evaluate HOST_FQDN=* 
| join type=left HOST_FQDN SCAN 
   [search index=foo sourcetype=Authoritative HOST_FQDN=* 
   | rename sourcetype as "Authoritative Source File", Version as "Authoritative Version"] 
| rename source as "Evaluate Source File", Version as "Evaluate Version"
| table _time, HOST_FQDN, SCAN, "Evaluate Source File", "Evaluate Version", "Authoritative Source File", "Authoritative Version" 
| dedup HOST_FQDN STIG​

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...