Splunk Search

Comparing sum results between several days

KaitoKozo
Explorer

I am trying to average the sum of power consumption readings between 2 days and compare that sum to a 3rd day. If the 3rd day’s total power consumption is 20% higher than the average of the previous 2 days, I would like to flag the day as having more power consumption than usual.

The main issue I have is in trying to do this comparison as I’m unsure if it’s possible to store data as variables similar to programming and am unable to do the full search/compute/compare in 1 line, in particular trying to target “specific dates relative to current date”.

I am having difficulty trying to implement my logic process in splunk as I am still relatively new to the system and am unsure about the capabilities and syntax of this platform.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @KaitoKozo,

Please try below;

index=power_consumption earliest=-3d@d
| timechart span=1d sum(consumption) as consumption
| streamstats window=2 current=f avg(consumption) as last2days
| tail 1
| where last2days>0 AND consumption>last2days*1.2

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @KaitoKozo,

Please try below;

index=power_consumption earliest=-3d@d
| timechart span=1d sum(consumption) as consumption
| streamstats window=2 current=f avg(consumption) as last2days
| tail 1
| where last2days>0 AND consumption>last2days*1.2

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

KaitoKozo
Explorer

Thanks! This has helped a bunch! However, I'm now getting an error that it has the '>' operator received different types in the where command. 

Through some testing, I have found out that the comparison of "Consumption > last2days*1.2" is the one causing issues, in particular "last2days*1.2". I am able to run the code if I change it to "Consumption > last2days", however the final result that appears is that Consumption is lesser than last2days.

KaitoKozo_0-1611803429908.png

This is the SS of the results that showed up when I added your modifications with "Consumption > last2days" instead.

Edit: I just digested and understood what the code does, so that 1 result was actually supposed to appear. Is there any way to create a chart that will plot those situations that only have days where the consumption is higher than the previous 2 days?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...