Splunk Search

Comparing fields from two events

rune_hellem
Contributor

The data shown here is PMI (Performance Monitoring Infrastructure) data collected from WebSphere using a scripting framework from IBM. I am therefore not really able to format the output in any other way than shown below. Problem is that in order to create an alert for exhausted ThreadPools I need to compare fields from two events, as shown below

2014-04-11 08:32:33:902,node02,CEMember2,type=ThreadPool+name=WebContainer>WebContainer,WebContainer,threadPoolModule,PoolSize,id,4,type,BoundedRangeStatistic,lastSampleTime,2014-04-11 05:27:24:069,current,13,bounded,50...50,waterMarks,1...50,mean,9.227478332840127,integral,3.34956227E8
2014-04-11 08:32:33:902,node02,CEMember2,type=ThreadPool+name=WebContainer>WebContainer,WebContainer,threadPoolModule,ActiveCount,id,3,type,BoundedRangeStatistic,lastSampleTime,2014-04-11 08:32:29:404,current,2,bounded,0...0,waterMarks,1...11,mean,2.6708347887819315,integral,1.2661146E8

I have created a custom sourcetype creating fields, the one needed (as I am aware of) for this question is

• req_time = 2014-04-11 08:32:33:902
  • pmi_node_name = node02
  • pmi_server_name = CEMember2
  • pmi_stat_provider_short = WebContainer
  • pmi_statistics_name = {PoolSize|ActiveCount}
  • pmi_current = {13|2}
  • pmi_bounded = {0|50}

I have created an alert like this

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events pmi_bounded > 0 | where pmi_current>pmi_bounded

But I have realized that I want this (pseudocode)

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events | where the following fields match: (req_time AND pmi_nodename AND pmi_servername AND pmi_stat_provider_short  AND THEN ((pmi_statistics_name = ActiveCount) pmi_current) > ((pmi_statistics_name = PoolSize)pmi_bounded) 

That is - since I check several nodes and servers at the same time returning several pmi_stat_provider_short I need to have identical req_time, pmi_nodename, pmi_servername and pmi_stat_provider_short to know that the events is a transaction, and then check if pmi_current from the event with pmi_statistics_name = ActiveCount is greater than or equal to pmi_bounded from the event with pmi_statistics_name = PoolSize.

0 Karma
1 Solution

rune_hellem
Contributor

Solved - thanks Mikael for the eval-command

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events  | eval pmi_current=if(pmi_statistics_name == "ActiveCount", pmi_current, NULL)  | eval pmi_bounded=if(pmi_statistics_name == "PoolSize", pmi_bounded, NULL) | transaction _time,pmi_node_name,pmi_server_name,pmi_stat_provider_long | WHERE pmi_current >= pmi_bounded

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

Solved - thanks Mikael for the eval-command

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events  | eval pmi_current=if(pmi_statistics_name == "ActiveCount", pmi_current, NULL)  | eval pmi_bounded=if(pmi_statistics_name == "PoolSize", pmi_bounded, NULL) | transaction _time,pmi_node_name,pmi_server_name,pmi_stat_provider_long | WHERE pmi_current >= pmi_bounded
0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Hi Rune,

Could you throw in an eval with if to NULL out the pmi_current you don't need, combined with the answer from somesoni2? As far as I understand you're only interested in the pmi_current from one of the events, i.e.

| eval pmi_current=if(pmi_statistics_name == "ActiveCount", pmi_current, NULL)

?

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, just an idea 🙂

You could also check this out: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/93930/how-to-create-a-new-field-with-values-in-existing-field-base...
You might lose some important data with this approach though. I guess your BY clause would be pmi_statistics_name

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this:

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events pmi_statistics_name = ActiveCount OR pmi_statistics_name = PoolSize | stats max(pmi_current) as pmi_current max(pmi_bounded) as pmi_bounded by req_time, pmi_nodename, pmi_servername | where pmi_current>pmi_bounded

Updated answer.
Try this. I have eliminated the pmi_current field from events with pmi_statistics=ActiveCount.

|multisearch [search sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events pmi_statistics_name = ActiveCount | table req_time, pmi_nodename, pmi_servername, pmi_statistics_name, pmi_current,pmi_stat_provider_long][search  sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events pmi_statistics_name = PoolSize | table req_time, pmi_nodename, pmi_servername, pmi_statistics_name,pmi_bounded,pmi_stat_provider_long] | stats max(pmi_current) as pmi_current max(pmi_bounded) as pmi_bounded by req_time, pmi_nodename, pmi_servername | where pmi_current>pmi_bounded
0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

Got the error

"...Multisearch subsearches may only contain purely streaming operations..."

and after trying out the eval command provided by Mikael I remembered the transaction-command.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try the updated answer. I have included your new field pmi_stat_provider_short in it.

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

To reflect my latest edit, I updated the search string to have pmi_stat_provider_short in the by clause

sourcetype=pmi_threadpool_events pmi_statistics_name = ActiveCount OR pmi_statistics_name = PoolSize | stats max(pmi_current) as pmi_current max(pmi_bounded) as pmi_bounded by req_time, pmi_node_name, pmi_server_name,pmi_stat_provider_long | where pmi_current>pmi_bounded

It is close, but still no sigar - since both events have the field pmi_current it will select random from either one of the events, which is not correct since PoolSize pmi_current can be higher than ActiveCount

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

Yes, all events have all fields as shown above, that is safe to assume

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

do you have req_time, pmi_nodename and pmi_servername fields in all events?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...