Splunk Search

Combining Multiple series

philre
Engager

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Splunk reporting, so maybe this is an easy one 😉

I've build up a query joining 3 data series like this:

cluster=cluster_1 AND relay=relayhost1 eventtype=relay | stats count as "Relay Count" | join [search cluster=cluster_1 reject="554 5.7.1 Service unavailable" | stats count as "Reject Count" | join [search cluster=cluster_1 AND (categorization="spam-confirmed" OR reject=551) | stats count as "Spam" ]

This is working as intended, I get one my 3 results. Now I want to take this further, getting the results grouped by time. I got this far:

cluster=cluster_1 AND relay=relayhost1 eventtype=relay | bucket _time span=5m | stats count as "Relay Count" by _time | join [search cluster=cluster_1 reject="554 5.7.1 Service unavailable" | bucket _time span=5n | stats count as "Reject Count" by _time] | join [search cluster=cluster_1 AND (categorization="spam-confirmed" OR reject=551) | bucket _time span=5m | stats count as "Spam" by _time]

It seems to be working for the Relay Count column, but not for the other 2, they always have the same count over all _time rows, e.g.:

_time Relay Count Reject Count Spam

1 1/2/12 2:35:00.000 PM 978 832 33
2 1/2/12 2:40:00.000 PM 1336 832 33
3 1/2/12 2:45:00.000 PM 1313 832 33
4 1/2/12 2:50:00.000 PM 490 832 33

Am I doing something terribly wrong, or is there a way to get this results?

Thanks in advance!

Philipp

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

eelisio2
Path Finder

This should give you the results you want:

cluster=cluster_1 | bucket _time span=5m 
| stats count(eval(relay=relayhost1 AND eventtype=relay)) as "Relay Count",
count(eval(reject="554 5.7.1 Service unavailable")) as "Reject Count",
count(eval(categorization="spam-confirmed" OR reject=551)) as "Spam" by _time

View solution in original post

eelisio2
Path Finder

This should give you the results you want:

cluster=cluster_1 | bucket _time span=5m 
| stats count(eval(relay=relayhost1 AND eventtype=relay)) as "Relay Count",

philre
Engager

Hi, that works great, I need to use the bucket before the searches, I see!
I already tryed working with eval, but never got it right i guess 😉

I also was able to speed it up a bit by adding the filters used in the eval to the search:

cluster=cluster_1 AND (relay="relayhost1" OR reject="554 5.7.1 Service unavailable" OR reject=551)  | bucket _time span=5m 
| stats count(eval(relay="relayhost1")) as "Relay Count",

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...