Splunk Search

Can you restrict search strings being sent to search peers?

ianshefferman
Explorer

We have a situation where our organization hosts 2 separate Splunk instances, each containing different indexes and events. We would like to be able to search the second instance's indexes from the first instance. For various reasons, we cannot merge the 2 instances. One way of doing this is by adding the second Splunk instance as a search peer, and using distributed search.

However, this means a copy of every search string sent to the first Splunk instance will also be sent to the second Splunk instance. This happens even if a search is only specifying indexes on the first, but not the second instance; every search string is sent to the search head and all peers no matter what is being searched. For security reasons, we would like this not to occur.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remotely search the second Splunk instance from the first without the second Splunk instance recording all search strings whether or not the search is using the second instance's indexes?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...