Splunk Search

Can you help me with my search query?

vrmandadi
Builder

alt text
I am running the below search

index=main sourcetype="aws:description" state=* image.attributes.name!=emr* id=i-069ffd47ebb88ee85 
| table private_ip_address id state
| dedup private_ip_address

OUTPUT

private_ip_address      id          state
10.xx.xx.xx     i-069ffd47ebb88ee85      running
null             i-069ffd47ebb88ee85      terminated

I want the output to be

10.xx.xx.xx            i-069ffd47ebb88ee85                  terminated   

I have used join, but that is taking a lot of time. Is there a better optimization, like the coalesce command or something?

Thanks in Advance

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

index=main AND sourcetype="aws:description" AND id="*" AND ((state="terminated" AND image.attributes.name!="emr*") OR private_ip_address!=null)
| eval state = if(state=="terminated", state, null())
| eval node=aws_account_id 
| eval resource="Instance Termination" 
| eval type="Instance Terminated" 
| eval severity=1 
| stats max(_time) AS _time values(image.attributes.name) AS instance values(id) AS id values(private_ip_address) AS private_ip_address values(state) AS state BY id image.attributes.name
|mvexpand private_ip_address
|search state=terminated AND private_ip_address!=null
| eval description = "The instance: " . instance . " with id:" . id . " has status " . state . " at " . _time
0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Try this

index=main sourcetype="aws:description" state=* image.attributes.name!=emr* id=i-069ffd47ebb88ee85 
 |stats latest(state) as state  , values(private_ip_address) as private_ip_address by id | mvexpand| where ISNOTNULL( private_ip_address )
0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

Try this:

index=main sourcetype="aws:description" state= image.attributes.name!=emr id=i-069ffd47ebb88ee85
| table private_ip_address id state
| stats earliest(private_ip_address), latest(id), latest(state) by id

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

No luck everything shows blank expect id

0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

Ok, your data have more than 2 rows. So add these 3 fields to the search and make sure the output contains data in all 3 fields and use the stats command I posted.

0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

Did you get a chance to test it?

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Yep no luck

0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

Can you provide all the rows returned rows for the search for atleast one id

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

index=main AND sourcetype="aws:description" AND id=* AND ((state="terminated" AND image.attributes.name!="emr*") OR private_ip_address!=null)
| stats values(private_ip_address) AS private_ip_address values(state) AS state BY id
0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

the private_ip_address field has both values the ip address and null

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, then add this to the end:

| eval private_ip_address = mvfilter(NOT match(private_ip_address, "^null$"))

You may need to adjust the "^null$" a bit.

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

index=main AND sourcetype="aws:description" AND id=* AND ((state="terminated" AND image.attributes.name!="emr*") OR private_ip_address!=null)
| eval node=aws_account_id
| eval resource="Instance Termination"
| eval type="Instance Terminated"
| eval severity=1
| stats values(private_ip_address) AS private_ip_address values(state) AS state BY id image.attributes.name |mvexpand private_ip_address |search state=terminated |search private_ip_address!=null

This is working but I am trying to add another field called description doing an eval command to get the description field like below

| eval description="The instance : ". image.attributes.name . " with id:" .id. " has status " .state ." at ". time

Is there way to get the into the search ?

Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try adding this:

| selfjoin id
0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Tried using selfjoin but the state is showing running not terminated

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Add this to the bottom:

| stats values(private_ip_address) AS private_ip_address last(state) AS state BY id

OR:

| stats values(private_ip_address) AS private_ip_address values(state) AS state BY id
0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

The values command combines everything but I want id to match output the id ,ip adress which is not null and the state should be teriminated like below

i-069ffd47ebb88ee85 10.xx.xxx.x terminated .I have attached the image of the output that I wanted to look like which I got it through join

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

So do you have something that works?

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Yes join works but its taking a lot of time

index=main sourcetype="aws:description" state=terminated image.attributes.name!=emr* id=* |rename state as abc|join id [search index=main sourcetype="aws:description" id=* private_ip_address!=null] |table private_ip_address id abc |dedup private_ip_address

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...