Splunk Search

Can multiple wildcards be used in serverclass.conf whitelist

cloroxx
Explorer

Can multiple wildcards be used in serverclass.conf whitelist file? 

whitelist.from_pathname = /lookup/host.txt

Examples:

M*WEB*

*WBS*

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

_JP
Contributor

You should be able to, although it isn't called out in the docs for serverclass.conf directly.

There are a couple of other configuration parameters you can set to get a bit of logic in the matching, too, if that is helpful:

whitelist.where_field
whitelist.where_equals
blacklist.where_field
blacklist.where_equals

If you think the docs are unclear and should include a multiple wildcard example, then I suggest submitting feedback via the form at the bottom of every Splunk docs page.  That team has always been responsive for improving the documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cloroxx
Explorer

Thanks @_JP.  My goal was to account for servers in two data centers with identical names except the 2nd character which designates the datacenter and avoid having to maintain separate host files for each data center. I know the trailing wildcard works, I just wasn't sure if adding a wildcard at the beginning or in the middle would work. 

0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

You should be able to, although it isn't called out in the docs for serverclass.conf directly.

There are a couple of other configuration parameters you can set to get a bit of logic in the matching, too, if that is helpful:

whitelist.where_field
whitelist.where_equals
blacklist.where_field
blacklist.where_equals

If you think the docs are unclear and should include a multiple wildcard example, then I suggest submitting feedback via the form at the bottom of every Splunk docs page.  That team has always been responsive for improving the documentation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...