Splunk Search

Calculated field in DB Connect

dan60201
Explorer

I have done testing the calculated fields for Splunk DB Connect in my local machine. Basically I added props.conf file to the following folder: %SPLUNK_HOM%\etc\apps\dbx\local

In the file, I have something like this

[MySoureType]
EVAL-cpu_time_s = CPU / 1000
EVAL-duration_s = Duration / (1000 * 1000)

It works perfectly in my local environment, I can see those fields (cpu_time_s, duration_s) show up in the search. However, when I implement in the actual server (a dedicated heavy forwarder installed with Dbx in a distributed environment), I can't find those fields anymore.

Any reason why it behaves differently? How should I troubleshoot this situation.
Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dan60201
Explorer

Somehow I need to move that configuration into indexers, rather than in DB connect dedicated server. Now those calculated fields work as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dan60201
Explorer

Somehow I need to move that configuration into indexers, rather than in DB connect dedicated server. Now those calculated fields work as expected.

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

Probably, in your distributed enviroment, the fields CPU and Duration are not beign exctracted properly, and because of that the calculated fields doesn´t work either

Regards

0 Karma

dan60201
Explorer

If I want to move/test EVAL-field to indexer (instead of defining it in the dedicated forwarder server with dbx), it's not clear to me what exactly the steps I should do? How does indexer know I want add additional calculated fields? Where do I need to put such props.conf?

0 Karma

dan60201
Explorer

Forgot to mention, those existing EVAL- from other apps managed by deployment server are working fine. Only DB Connect that I configured in this dedicated box did not work as I expected.

0 Karma

dan60201
Explorer

I checked all splunk servers (search head/indexer) and can only find props.conf with EVAL- in indexer. So, I configured the dedicated heavy forwarder with dbx installed and enabled indexAndForward = true in outputs.conf. I am expecting it will do calculated field in this box before sending to splunk receiver.

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

You should put this configuration of props.conf in the Search Head, not in the heavy forwarder.

0 Karma

dan60201
Explorer

gfuente, Thanks for reply. Both CPU and Duration were showing up just fine. I also tried with fixed value like EVAL_test = 'test', but no such field showed up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Let’s Talk Terraform

If you’re beyond the first-weeks-of-a-startup stage, chances are your application’s architecture is pretty ...

Cloud Platform | Customer Change Announcement: Email Notification is Available For ...

The Notification Team is migrating our email service provider. As the rollout progresses, Splunk has enabled ...

Save the Date: GovSummit Returns Wednesday, December 11th!

Hey there, Splunk Community! Exciting news: Splunk’s GovSummit 2024 is returning to Washington, D.C. on ...