Splunk Search

CISCO ESA - simple search email query (sender, recipient,subject)

corti77
Communicator

Hi,

I have Splunk 8.1.4 with Splunk Add-on for CISCO ESA 1.5.0. I also have the old  app Cisco Secuirty Suite that even though it does not support Splunk 8.1.4, it shows results so I planned to get inspired by its query for Message tracking--> Transaction details.

index=cisco eventtype=cisco-esa | transaction keepevicted=true icid mid | search host="*" sender="*" recipient="*" dest_interface="*" policy_direction="*" subject="*TEST*"

I think the ESA events are getting correctly to Splunk, I use Syslog Connector for Splunk. 

The test I performed is the following :

1. send an email from my corporate email to GMAIL with the subject TEST

2. simply reply from gmail.

With the above query I would expect to see two events but I only see the outgoing event.

I tried to filter by recipient and it thrown zero results.

index=cisco eventtype=cisco-esa | transaction keepevicted=true icid mid | search host="*" sender="*" recipient="xxxx@yyy.zz" dest_interface="*" policy_direction="*"

If I do a simpler query without the transaction command, I can see an event with the right internal recipient which corresponds to the incoming email that I could not find previously. But in that event there is no field subject.

index=cisco eventtype=cisco-esa  recipient="xxxx@yyy.zz"

Could someone help me out with some query that consolidate inbound /outbound emails with filtering capabilities?

thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

corti77
Communicator

just to clarify a bit more, my final goal is to have a very similar dashboard like the one available for Exchange in ITSI but using only ESA events.

ITSI_track_message.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...