Splunk Search

Bulk rename of all fields that come from calling "| lookup"?

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

We have a CMDB lookup that adds 100 fields when we do not specify a limited set with "OUTPUT". More fields are added every now and then. I cannot rename the fields in the file because too many people share this file; it is what it is. Is there a flexible way to rename all fields that are in there that will still work even when new fields are added or old field names change slightly? If I jus.t do an iteration of every field with | rename a AS CMDB_a, | rename b AS CMDB_b ... this will be fragile and break and be a huge blight in the middle of my search. I cannot do | rename * AS CMDB_* because there are many other fields and this search might change to add more non-CMDB fields, too.

1 Solution

Noah_Woodcock
Path Finder

Like this:

... | rename * AS _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_*
| lookup YourLookupDefinitionHere host AS _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_host
| rename * AS CMDB_*
| rename _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_* AS *

View solution in original post

Noah_Woodcock
Path Finder

Like this:

... | lookup YourLookupDefinitionHere host
| rename COMMENT AS "Bulk rename of all fields from this lookup to add prefix 'CMDB_'"
| rename [| inputlookup  YourLookupDefinitionHere
          | head 1
          | foreach * [ eval <<FIELD>> = "CMDB_<<FIELD>>" ]
          | format "" "" "" "" "" ""
| rex field=search mode=sed "s/=/ AS /g"]

Noah_Woodcock
Path Finder

Like this:

... | rename * AS _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_*
| lookup YourLookupDefinitionHere host AS _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_host
| rename * AS CMDB_*
| rename _HIDE_ALL_FIELDS_* AS *

theady
Engager

I had issue with this. it seems to take the _* fields as part of the * on the first rename.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It definitely should not and is a bug if it does.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Came across this solution and noted the comments about _ fields being renamed and it does appear that it won't work as _ fields are also renamed with *

| makeresults
| eval myField=1
| rename * as HIDE_*
| table *

shows HIDE__time

and in my example

| rename * as _HIDE_ALL_*
| lookup work_status key as _HIDE_ALL_workStatusKey
| rename * as orig_work_status_*
| rename _HIDE_ALL_* as *

after the second rename, all _HIDE_ fields are now orig_work_status__HIDE_...

which is not the intended outcome - shame - as it was a simple approach.

0 Karma

davewood
Explorer

It seems the rename command changed behaviour somewhere along the way and now, as you noted, * matches _ fields too.

You can still use the same method though with a tweak to the final rename:

| rename * as _HIDE_ALL_*
| lookup work_status key as _HIDE_ALL_workStatusKey
| rename * as orig_work_status_*
| rename orig_work_status__HIDE_ALL_* as *

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...