Splunk Search

Average Field Value per Second

matthewcanty
Communicator

Hi there, I have a problem and think I know the cause. Looking for the work around. I am sending periodic logs to Splunk which contains count information and want to timechart the Fixtures per second. For example:

FeedSource="A" Sport="Football" Fixtures=20

The message is sent every 10 seconds so the fix/ps should be 2. But how can I get this to work across any time frame I am looking at?

So if I am looking at 1 day and each point represents an hour, the count must be divided by 3600. Whereas if I am looking at 1 minute and each point on the graph represents 1 second, the count must be divided by 1.

avg(X) cannot be used because some log messages will contain Fixtures=0 which will bring the average per second down.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

dennywebb
Path Finder

This only works on timechart... not stats.

matthewcanty
Communicator

Holy moly... feel bad!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...