Splunk Search

Automatically extracting field at search time

rahiparikh
Explorer

Hi,

Previously I was searching and extracting field at search time by explicitly specifying rex command. Now, I want to do the same thing but I want splunk to understand that I want "that" field extracted when relevant data is searched. How can I do using manager? ( Also, I do wish to keep it general i.e. not based on any source or something similar. )

My previous query was -

* | rex "(?<authentication_type>(?i)(password))"

Now, I want to do something like this -

* authentication_type=password

Thanks,
Rahil

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

If the IFX creates an invalid extraction you can just specify your own regex that you know works.

0 Karma

rahiparikh
Explorer

Hi,

I already tried that but in IFE it extracts some not required results. 😞

Though.. Thanks!

0 Karma

mw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Manager -> Fields -> Field Extractions

You can basically paste a rex regex into the new extraction. However, an extraction must target a source, sourcetype, or host. I suppose you could set the source value to "*" though.

Reading up on props.conf will give you some insight into this: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Propsconf

0 Karma

rahiparikh
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to extract the field the way you specified using Manager.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...