Splunk Search

Analyzing PowerShell logs in Splunk

quangnm21
Explorer

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on a lab assignment and I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of two specific fields in PowerShell log hunting. Could someone please explain these two fields to me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

quangnm21_0-1696604173479.png

quangnm21_1-1696604205140.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

I don't know PowerShell logs...but in a situation like this I would set the Selected to Yes for the fields you're trying to figure out.  Based on your screen shots, those fields appear for 100% of your events.  When you set that to Yes, you will see the field & value appear with each event in your results.  Then you can try and match up what the value is with the text that's there in the event.

But - also keep in mind there could be calculated events, too.  For example, MessageTotal might be the # of bytes in the event, and won't actually appear within the data.  Having them displayed with each event will help you deduce what they might represent, though - if MessageTotal was 1 for a whole bunch of 1-byte events, then you know your answer.

selected_yes.png

quangnm21
Explorer

Thank you very much for this suggestion.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...