Splunk Search

Adding python script to search app

bkirk
Path Finder

I have python script I want to add to the search app in splunk 5.0.3, I found some documentation: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/Search/AddthecustomcommandtoSplunk

Now to make sure I am doing things correctly I copied the uniq.py and called it test.py and modified the commands.conf all in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search folder.

After restarting splunk I can see the script in: Manager > Advanced search > Search commands

However when I tried to use it I get an error:

Error in 'test' command: This command must be the first command of a search.

Meanwhile uniq work fine, obviously since that was built into splunk.

Thank you,

Brian

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bkirk
Path Finder

Ok I was able to get my custom python script to work however I needed to do the following:

1. Add my script to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/bin directory
  2. Modify the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/transforms.conf to include the fields:

[myscript]
external_cmd = myscript.py InputField OutputField
fields_list = InputField OutputField

1. Use my script as follows:

{My Search} |lookup myscript InputField as SearchField |table OutputField

Thank you,
Brian

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bkirk
Path Finder

Ok I was able to get my custom python script to work however I needed to do the following:

1. Add my script to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/bin directory
  2. Modify the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/transforms.conf to include the fields:

[myscript]
external_cmd = myscript.py InputField OutputField
fields_list = InputField OutputField

1. Use my script as follows:

{My Search} |lookup myscript InputField as SearchField |table OutputField

Thank you,
Brian

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

How are you calling the command? Your search should have a leading pipe and your command being the first command; something like:

| test

bkirk
Path Finder

Yes, when I do {my search} | uniq I get my expected results however when I do {my search} | test I get:

Error in 'test' command: This command must be the first command of a search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...