Splunk Search

Active Directory LastLogonTimestamp EVAL/WHERE Date Math

mcrawford44
Communicator

I'm attempting to locate systems that have not logged into AD for 90 days. I am using the following search;

index=foo   | where lastLogonTimestamp<relative_time(now(), "-90d" )  | dedup cn  | table  cn,lastLogonTimestamp,operatingSystem

This does not appear to function. It returns results, however the LastLogonTimestamp field appears to return ALL dates. Reversing the query returns garbage results. Every field returned says "OptionalProperties".

If I recall, this variable is stored in some Microsoft tick time similar to epoch, however Splunk seems to display it properly in the following format;

07:44.36 PM, Sun 11/17/2013

Is Splunk automatically converting this? Do I have to define a format in order to evaluate or use a where command?

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Most likely you'll need to convert the lastLogonTimestamp to epoch before making the comparison.

index=foo lastLogonTimestamp=* 
| eval last_logon = strptime(lastLogonTimestamp, "%H:%M.%S %p, %a %m/%d/%Y") 
| where last_logon < (now() - (86400 * 90)) 
| dedup cn 
| table cn, lastLogonTimestamp, operatingsystem

hope this helps,

k

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Most likely you'll need to convert the lastLogonTimestamp to epoch before making the comparison.

index=foo lastLogonTimestamp=* 
| eval last_logon = strptime(lastLogonTimestamp, "%H:%M.%S %p, %a %m/%d/%Y") 
| where last_logon < (now() - (86400 * 90)) 
| dedup cn 
| table cn, lastLogonTimestamp, operatingsystem

hope this helps,

k

monteirolopes
Communicator

Hi,
I would like to sort by date. If I use the command "sort -last_logon" , Splunk order by hours. Is it possible convert first to " %m/%d/%Y, %H:%M.%S %p"?

Best regards,
Lopes.

0 Karma

mcrawford44
Communicator

As a note I changed the %H to %I for 12-Hour time. Otherwise perfect and thank you very much for the help.

0 Karma

mcrawford44
Communicator

Perfect! Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...