Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

can't add artifact field with message parameter

meshorer
Path Finder

hello all!

I am trying to add  field to an artifact with "update artifact" action (phantom app).

i am trying to add a 'message parameter' in the 'value' at the cef_json field:

for example:

{"new_field": {0}}

but unfortunately I get "key_error" and the action failed. 

how can I solve it?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@meshorer  when using the format input or format block for JSON you need to use double { & } and encase the value in " such as the below (which I just tested):

{{"new_field": "{0}"}}

Note that you don't need to double the {&} on the {0} as it's a replacement element but the actual JSON elements will need escaping in this way, even if you had nested JSON like the below:

{{"new_field": {{"sub_field": "{0}"}}}}

-- Hope this helps! If so please mark as a solution for future SOARers. Happy SOARing! --

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@meshorer  when using the format input or format block for JSON you need to use double { & } and encase the value in " such as the below (which I just tested):

{{"new_field": "{0}"}}

Note that you don't need to double the {&} on the {0} as it's a replacement element but the actual JSON elements will need escaping in this way, even if you had nested JSON like the below:

{{"new_field": {{"sub_field": "{0}"}}}}

-- Hope this helps! If so please mark as a solution for future SOARers. Happy SOARing! --

Tags (3)
0 Karma

meshorer
Path Finder

@phanTom thak you so much!

could you also tell me how to add two fields in the same action?

0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@meshorer just add more keys & values to the JSON string 😁

{{"new_field1": "{0}", "new_field2": "{1}"}}

0 Karma

meshorer
Path Finder

@phanTom  yeah I got confused with the escaped "{} ".

you are the best!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...