Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Getting fields from artifact in playbook

chris997
Engager

Hello! This is probably a simple question but I've been kind of struggling with it. I'm building out my first playbook which triggers off of new artifacts. The artifacts include fields for: type, value, tag. What I'm trying to do is have those fields from the artifact passed directly into a custom code block in my playbook. How do I go about accessing those fields?

I've tried using phantom.collect2(container=container, datapath=["artifact:FIELD_NAME*"]) in the code block but it doesn't return anything. I thought maybe I needed to setup custom fields to define type, value and tag in the custom fields settings, but that didn't change anything either. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chris997
Engager

Thanks! I initially tried that call and  wasn't working for me but I ended up realizing it was because I was adding my fields to the "Custom fields" and not the "CEF" settings.

After speaking with the Splunk team it sounds like Custom fields are meant for reference within SOAR, like adding some information into the HUD, whereas CEF is what's actually used to access the artifact data.

I appreciate your reply

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ar_on88

Try this:

phantom.collect2(container=container, datapath=["artifact:*.cef.FIELD_NAME"])
0 Karma

chris997
Engager

Thanks! I initially tried that call and  wasn't working for me but I ended up realizing it was because I was adding my fields to the "Custom fields" and not the "CEF" settings.

After speaking with the Splunk team it sounds like Custom fields are meant for reference within SOAR, like adding some information into the HUD, whereas CEF is what's actually used to access the artifact data.

I appreciate your reply

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...