Splunk Observability Cloud

Why am I unable to see data for MS SQL?

Eshwar
Engager

Hi Community,

I had install OpenTelemetry Agent on Windows 2012 R2 and trying to monitor SQL Server 2012. So, I have configured agent.yaml as below and restarted the service but we couldn't see data in infrastructure section. Please suggest what could be the issue!

smartagent/sqlserver:
type: telegraf/sqlserver
host: xxxxxxxxx
port: 1433
userID: xxxxxx
password: xxxxxxxx

Regards,

Eshwar

Labels (1)
0 Karma

splunkfan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Be sure you are configuring the receiver per the example mentioned in the guide:
https://docs.splunk.com/Observability/gdi/monitors-databases/mysql.html 

receivers:
smartagent/mysql:
type: collectd/mysql
host: 127.0.0.1
port: 3306
username: <global-username-for-all-db>
password: <global-password-for-all-db>
databases:
- name: <name-of-db>
username: <username> #Overrides global username
password: <password> #Overrides global password

0 Karma

bishida
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

If you have any additional info you can share, that would be helpful. Generally though, here are some ideas to get started troubleshooting.

•  Are you editing the correct yaml file for Windows? (default location is in C:\ProgramData\Splunk\OpenTelemetry Collector [NOT C:\Program Files...])
  • Is your yaml file content properly indented?
  • Can you find logs in your Windows event viewer? (filter by “collector”)
  • Is the Otel collector successfully starting?
  • Have you created/configured an mssql user and granted appropriate privileges? (GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO YOUR_USER; GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION TO YOUR_USER)
  • Once the collector is confirmed running, can you find this metric in Observability Cloud? (sqlserver_server_properties.db_online)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...