Splunk Enterprise

user-prefs.conf in a custom app

brent_weaver
Builder

I am creating a custom app for my company and I have put user-prefs.conf in default. The SHC always complains about this file when push a bundle and a restart is required. Am I not supposed to house this file within an app, does it need to go in etc/system/local?

Any help is much appreciated becauase at this point I cannot do a rolling restart of my SHC.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

Yes the roles exist:

[general_default]
default_earliest_time = -1h
default_latest_time = now

[role_predix-ops-user]
default_namespace = GE_Predix_App

[role_predix-sec-user]
default_namespace = GE_Predix_App

[role_predix-admin]
default_namespace = launcher

Is there something wrong with the file? In there an issue with the general_default section? The roles exist in the same app actually:

[role_predix-admin]
cumulativeRTSrchJobsQuota = 0
cumulativeSrchJobsQuota = 0
importRoles = admin
srchIndexesAllowed = *;_*
srchIndexesDefault = *
srchMaxTime = 0

[role_predix-sec-user]
importRoles = user
srchIndexesAllowed = *;_*
srchIndexesDefault = *_security
srchMaxTime = 0

[role_predix-ops-user]
importRoles = user
srchIndexesAllowed = *_predix_*;_*;last_chance_predix
srchIndexesDefault = *_predix_*
srchMaxTime = 30d
srchJobsQuota = 15
rtSrchJobsQuota = 1

Any insight is much appreaciated!

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

Something very worthy of note is that this only happens in our SHC, not on our stand alone nodes. I cannot even do a rolling restart of the cluster

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

In our case, we use $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf on the deployer to map the splunk roles to the default_namespace - an app.

user-prefs.conf

says -

-- To use one or more of these configurations, copy the configuration block into user-prefs.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/. You must restart Splunk to enable configurations.

0 Karma

ryanhast
Explorer

Is the role that your user-prefs.conf not deployed to you SHC? What is the error that SHC is barking about?
I my SHC I package the user-prefs.conf in a separate package to deploy to SHC. Any changes I make them there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...