Splunk Enterprise

nullQueue and messages about problems with timestamp extraction

NoSpaces
Communicator

Hello to everyone!
One of the source types contains messages with no timestamp

<172>hostname: -Traceback:  0x138fc51 0x13928fa 0x1399b28 0x1327c33 0x3ba6c07dff 0x7fba45b0339d

To resolve this problem, I created a transform rule that successfully eliminated this "junk" from index

[wlc_syslog_rt0]
REGEX = ^<\d+>.*?:\s-Traceback:\s+
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

But after it, I still have messages that indicate timestamp extraction failed

01-31-2024 15:08:17.539 +0300 WARN  DateParserVerbose [17276 merging_0] - Failed to parse timestamp in first MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD (20) characters of event. Defaulting to timestamp of previous event (Wed Jan 31 15:08:05 2024). Context: source=udp:1100|host=172.22.0.11|wlc_syslog|\r\n				566 similar messages suppressed.  First occurred at: Wed Jan 31 15:03:13 2024

All events from this sourcetype look like this:

<172>hostname: *spamApTask0: Jan 31 12:58:47.692: %LWAPP-4-SIG_INFO1: [PA]spam_lrad.c:56582 Signature information; AP 00:57:d2:86:c0:30, alarm ON, standard sig Auth flood, track per-Macprecedence 5, hits 300, slot 0, channel 1, most offending MAC 54:14:f3:c8:a1:b3

Before asking, I tried to find events without a timestamp by using regex and cluster commands but didn't find anything

So, is it normal behavior, and splunk indicates timestamp absence before moving to nullQueue or did I do something wrong?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@NoSpaces - That could be true because Splunk applies Timestamp Parsing before Transforms (nullQueue).

I hope this helps to understand why you are seeing the log. Please upvote and accept if this helps and resolves your query!!!

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You won't find events without a timestamp because Splunk always stores every event with a timestamp.  If the event does not come with a timestamp or if the timestamp is invalid then Splunk will use the timestamp from the previous event.

The timestamp warning cited does not apply to same sourcetype as the nullQueue transform.  The warning is for wlc_syslog and the transform is for wlc_syslog_rt0.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

NoSpaces
Communicator

I can find events without timestamps by using regex
It is not about the _time field but about the existence of "time" at the event
Apparanly, my first explanation is not good enough 😃

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See the Masa diagrams - https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Diagrams-of-how-indexing-works-in-the-Splunk-platfor...

Timestamp extraction is one of the very first steps in event processing. So even if you later decide to drop (send to nullQueue) some events, that will be done way later in the pipeline.

0 Karma

NoSpaces
Communicator

Thank you for the link to the diagram

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@NoSpaces - That could be true because Splunk applies Timestamp Parsing before Transforms (nullQueue).

I hope this helps to understand why you are seeing the log. Please upvote and accept if this helps and resolves your query!!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...