Splunk Enterprise

migrating to new hardware

KulvinderSingh
Path Finder

Splunk offline --enforce-count or data rebalance which one is better in case of migrating to new hardware and do i have to add peer to manual detention in indexer cluster before running a data rebalance or splunkoffline?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use splunk offline --enforce-count to migrate to new hardware.  A rebalance will shuffle buckets around, but won't remove the old indexer.  If you're only replacing a single indexer then manual detention is not necessary.  However, if this is one of many migrations than consider setting manual detention on each old indexer so they don't receive buckets from the others that are taken down.  It will spare the system from potentially moving the same bucket multiple times.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use splunk offline --enforce-count to migrate to new hardware.  A rebalance will shuffle buckets around, but won't remove the old indexer.  If you're only replacing a single indexer then manual detention is not necessary.  However, if this is one of many migrations than consider setting manual detention on each old indexer so they don't receive buckets from the others that are taken down.  It will spare the system from potentially moving the same bucket multiple times.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...