Splunk Enterprise

heavy forwarder of higher version than indexers

soumyasaha25
Contributor

i have my splunk indexer cluster on 7.3.0 and i am planning to add a new heavy forwarder, can the new HF be the latest version of splunk (8.1.2) or does it need to be the same as the indexer cluster.  Based on what i know, there is not much difference functionally between a HF and indexer and since indexers should always be of the exact same version, i am a bit confused if there will be a version mismatch issue.

I do have an upgrade plan in pipeline which will eventually happen in 1 or 2 months, just wanted to know if the higher version of HF and lower version in indexer cluster would work as an interim solution.

Note: I do use DB connect intensively on the HF.

Did anyone try something like this, were there any issues.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Vardhan
Contributor

Hi @soumyasaha25 ,

In HF if you install the Splunk as a higher version like 8.1.2 and if you are installing any addon in that HF which supports only 8 versions. And if you deploy the same addon in indexer it will make an issue. Since the indexer is the lesser version.

Try to maintain the Splunk components in the same version always.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...