Splunk Enterprise

Why is there an error when searching on search head?

AishwaryaAlhat
Engager

Hi,

If I search on search head, I am getting this error:

AishwaryaAlhat_0-1679458271176.png

Monitoring detail of the indexer machine:

AishwaryaAlhat_1-1679458310927.png

Can anyone help with this issue? I could not figure out what's and where is the problem. Thanks. 

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The error message recommended checking splunkd.log on the peer and also to check search.log.  Did you do that?  What did you find?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

AishwaryaAlhat
Engager

Hi Rich,

Thank you for reply. Yes, I checked the splunkd.log and also the resource_usage.log. I have attached the screenshot for more understanding. 

this is the PID that gets killed.

AishwaryaAlhat_2-1679522689307.png

AishwaryaAlhat_0-1679522665356.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Out-of-Memory (OOM) Killer stopped Splunk - which would explain why the SH did not get a response.  Verify the box meets Splunk's reference hardware specs.  Add more memory, if possible.

Check the search being run at the time to see if it can be made to use less memory.  Certain commands, like join and transaction, use a lot of memory and often can be avoided.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...