Splunk Enterprise

Why is search area not giving me output when used?

ludjunior

I have a splunk acct that i login to via vpn. The issue is that when i use the "search" area i cannot get an output but i when i use the "find" area for the same query, i get my output. Is there a way the change that? I just want to put my query in the "search" area to get my output.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Welcome to Splunk!

Please help us to help you.  What do you mean by "search area" and "find area"?  What text are you putting into each?  What are you trying to get for output?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ludjunior

In the search, if I put index=“_internal” I won’t get anything but if I go on the top right corner and put the same query I will get an output. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you put "index=_internal" in the Find box then you should get a list of reports and dashboards that contain that string.  The last entry should be "Open 'index=_internal' in Search.  Clicking that should be the same as putting "index=_internal" in a search box.

Do you have access to the _internal index?  Usually, only admins and (sometimes) power users have access.  Not having access to the index would explain why you get no results from the Search box (no, Splunk won't say "you don't have access").  OTOH, if the Find box turns up a report that runs as  Owner and the owner has access then you will see results.

---
0 Karma

ludjunior

Hi Richgalloway, 

yes, I am one of the admins on the acct. I have to find out whether I have access to the index. How would i find out? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are an admin then you should have access to _internal.  Try searching index=_internal earliest=-1h.  If you get results then you have access.

Another way is to go to Settings->Users and look at your account.

---
0 Karma

ludjunior

I checked my acct again. I am admin, can_delete, power, Splunk-system-role, user

Do you think it's the VPN link that I'm using to get to Splunk? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In addition to looking at your capabilities, look at the indexes you are allowed to access.  Do that by going to Settings->Roles and clicking on your role.  Then select the Indexes tab.  There should be a mark in the _internal box.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...