Splunk Enterprise

Why can't I use cliVerifyServerName = True with self signed certificate?

andymalato
Explorer

We are working on upgrading our Splunk environment from 8.2.7 to 9.0.4

When we attempt to set cliVerifyServerName = true in server.conf and start splunk, the following is message just keeps being echoed  in an endless loop "ERROR: certificate validation: self signed certificate."

We are only using self signed certificates to secure splunkd but SplunkWeb does have a real cert signed by an recognized signing authority.    If we don't set this we see the following message on startup:  

".WARNING: Server Certificate Hostname Validation is disabled. Please see server.conf/[sslConfig]/cliVerifyServerName for details"

This feels like a bug to me but not sure since certificates are complicated.   

Any one else running into this issue ?

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

andymalato
Explorer

This is somehow tied to SplunkWEB because when we set cliVerifyServerName = true on our indexers (which don't run a web interface) this error does not happen and splunkd starts without issue.  I believe the issue is that we are using a self-signed certificate for splunkd but for splunkWEB we are using a signed certificate recognized by a known signing authority.  It seems that the mixture of a self-signed certificate in the mix is causing the issue.  However,  I believe this should be a supported configuration as using two different certificates for splunkd and splunkWEB is supported.    This feels like a bug.  

0 Karma

jorma
Loves-to-Learn

We are having this exact issue - were you able to find a solution?

0 Karma

_pravin
Communicator

Hi @jorma ,

There are a few things you need to check for certificates.

1. Check if the certificate is pointing to the right file in web.conf
  2. If you have a different name for the Splunk web URL, make sure that you have all of them the SAN part of the certificate file.

I had encountered both of the above issues and once I made the change, our Splunk instance was working perfectly.

Thanks,

Pravin

0 Karma

kdulle
Explorer

I'm seeing the same thing.  Let me know if you find out more.

Pretty sure this python warning was new after the upgrade as well.
Upgrading from 9.0

cliVerifyServerName.png

0 Karma

andymalato
Explorer

The feature to use TLS hostname validation for Python modules was available starting in 9.0.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Installation/AboutupgradingREADTHISFIRST for details.   We were able to silence the message by setting PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY = 1 in splunk-launch.conf.  Hope that helps.

kdulle
Explorer

Yes, I can confirm that when I added that to splunk-launch.conf the python message went away.

Thanks for clarifying your issue above yesterday on using two different certs causing the problem.  My issue ended up being a typo in the sslRootCAPath in server.conf.

I appreciate your quick replies.

0 Karma

_pravin
Communicator

I see a similar issue but I have set cliVerifyServerName = false. But from your answer, if it doesn't make a difference I am interested to see what changes we need to employ.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...