Splunk Enterprise

Why am I getting errors in system default file configuration when upgrading a Universal Forwarder from 8.2.5 to 9.0.0.1?

BlueSocket
Communicator

Dear All,

I have a pretty bare Splunk Universal Forwarder that was installed at 8.2.5 and had no errors on restart, but when I upgraded it to 9.0.0.1, I started to get the following errors?

NOTE: These are all in the system/default files (so not my settings):

Invalid key in stanza [webhook] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/alert_actions.conf, line 229: enable_allowlist (value: false).

Invalid key in stanza [provider:splunk] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/federated.conf, line 20: mode (value: standard).

Invalid key in stanza [general] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/federated.conf, line 23: needs_consent (value: true).

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"Pretty sure"?  I can't find those settings in the 8.2.5 or 9.0.0 docs so I wonder what they're doing there.  None of them apply to Universal Forwarders so you might as well remove them.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

BlueSocket
Communicator

I am not sure how those settings got there, but the way that I got those errors was:

1) Install Splunk Universal Forwarder at version 8.2.5.

2) Upgrade Splunk Universal Forwarder to 9.0.0.1.

I just redid it and on start up of the Forwarder, I get these messages:

Invalid key in stanza [webhook] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/alert_actions.conf, line 229: enable_allowlist (value: false).

Invalid key in stanza [provider:splunk] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/federated.conf, line 20: mode (value: standard).

Invalid key in stanza [general] in /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/federated.conf, line 23: needs_consent (value: true).

I will take out the weird configurations, but this is kind-of to help others, if they get the same results.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...