Splunk Enterprise

VersionControl For Splunk

sizemorejm
Explorer

I found "VersionControl For Splunk" on Github would this add-on work for gitlab as well?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

If I recall right this needs only git client. Basically this means, that you could use it with (almost?) any git server which support basic git commands.

## What is required for this application to work with a remote git repository?
The following assumptions are made:
- git is accessible on the command line, this has been tested on Linux & Windows with git for Windows installed
- git is using an SSH-based URL and the remote git repository allows the machine running the SplunkVersionControl application to remotely access the repository without a username/password prompt (i.e. SSH keys are in use)
- git will work from the user running the Splunk process over SSH, note that on Windows this will be the system account by default, on Linux the splunk user
- the git repository is dedicated to this particular backup as the root / top level of the git repo will be used to create backups

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also, if you could update us more details about why you need "version control" using github / gitlab... 

We can use the Deployment Server(and/or Deployer, Cluster Master) for apps, addons, TA's version control management. 

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sizemorejm ..
As this is a very rare topic, its difficult to explain with out own experience. we can only give an educated guess. 

>> would this add-on work for gitlab as well?

So, i assume you would like to use version control of the Splunk configs, importantly using the gitlab.. 

as per my understanding, the github app should work gitlab as well.  both are very similar products and from same base source code(i think). 

gitlab looks like an advanced version of github. so, this version control app also should work seamlessly. thanks. 

Comparison between github and gitlab... 

https://about.gitlab.com/competition/github/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...