Splunk Enterprise

The avg function is unsupported or undefined

R15
Path Finder

I was building a new search and started getting this error with various functions. I simplified my search down to something straight out of the documentation to make sure I wasn't missing something silly, but still get the error even with this: 
index=* | eval c=avg(1, 2, 3)

What's going on?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

R15
Path Finder

@inventsekar apparently avg is not an eval function in my version of splunk. It's available with other things like chart and stats, but not eval. Something like this works however: 
... | chart eval(avg(bytes) ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

as @inventsekar said it should work without issues. Could you try this

| makeresults 
| eval c=avg(1, 2, 3)
| table c

It should give to 2 to you.

When this is working and your current query didn't work, then you have some other issue in it.

You could check which Splunk version you have by click Help -> About on top bar.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

R15
Path Finder

@isoutamo @inventsekar 

We'll be upgrading soon but until then I'm stuck. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
It seems that avg as an eval function has deployed at 8.1.0 (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/SearchReference/StatisticalFunctions).
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @R15 .. this search runs fine actually. may we know your remaining portions of the search(after calculating the avg, how do you have handle the avg values?!?!) 
if you provide a screenshot, that would be of great help, thanks. 

inventsekar_0-1698712888837.png

0 Karma

R15
Path Finder

There is no other portion, running the same search as in your screenshot I get the error.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@R15 wrote:

There is no other portion, running the same search as in your screenshot I get the error.

Could you pls take a screenshot and attach for our reference, thanks. 

0 Karma

R15
Path Finder

@inventsekar apparently avg is not an eval function in my version of splunk. It's available with other things like chart and stats, but not eval. Something like this works however: 
... | chart eval(avg(bytes) ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...