Splunk Enterprise

Splunk monitor data input different behavior after sourcetype change

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Hi Splunkers, today I noted a behavior I don't understand and I'm here to ask you help me.

On a customer environment, we have some data (Forcepoint one) that reach a HF (so, a Splunk enterprise instance) and then are sent to a Splunk Cloud.
The collection method use a script that pulls logs and save them on a path, so the related data input is a Monitor one, which consinuosly monitor data pulled. It's look likes this in Monitor Input list:

SplunkExplorer_0-1692959024148.png

For parsing, we are usin a sourcetype that seems to not work properly, because is not configured to extract csv data (logs are collected by script as csv files). So, to avoid to change it in a testing phase, we:

• configured another sourcetype
  • Configured another index
  • In custom sourcetype  properties, we set the Indexed Extraction to csv
  • Finally, we associated the new sourcetype and new index to monitor input.

The thing that happen and I don't understand is this one: if we perform this change, all .csv logs file starts to be listed in monitor input list and the associated app becomes splunk_instrumentation:

SplunkExplorer_1-1692959127305.png

In above screen I captured only last csv files is present, but if I leave this configuration many other will follow (all the one captured by script). Why this happen? It's related to Indexed Extraction properties of custom sourcetype?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...