Splunk Enterprise

Splunk connect db not running queries after adding input

markawad
Engager

Hello,

I am on splunk 7.0.2, which is configured in a distributed environment. I installed splunk connect db on a SHC. Then from one of my search heads in the UI, I added my first input. (Note the connection to the db is fine, executing the sql query during setup, yields the expected result.)

However, after adding the input, I can see that connect db does not run the query at all, it ignores the frequency at which the query would run. This is seen in $splunk_home/var/log/splunk/splunk_app_db_connect_server.log

The data is not saved at all, I am not sure what am I missing or doing wrong. 

What is quite strange is that I cannot find any errors in the log that would help me at least debug why this is being caused, besides this error:  ch.qos.logback.core.Appender.error in splunk_app_db_connect_health_metrics.log

Note: The SHC is configured properly and is connected with the indexers. 

I have been facing a lot of issues with this.  Please help me find the solution or hint me towards how I can debug this.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem began by configuring a DB Connect input on a SHC.  Inputs must be installed on a heavy forwarder.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.4.0/DeployDBX/Distributeddeployment

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problem began by configuring a DB Connect input on a SHC.  Inputs must be installed on a heavy forwarder.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.4.0/DeployDBX/Distributeddeployment

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...