Splunk Enterprise

Splunk DB connect Error: "connect timed out ? How to fix this issue

Hemnaath
Motivator

When I am trying to validate the connection  the validation is taking time and finally popping out a message saying 

The TCP/IP connection to the host xxxxxx, port 1433 has failed. Error: "connect timed out. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.

Can anyone help me on this! 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

DB Connect has its own logs named splunk_app_db_connect_*.log.

The network said "outgoing to 1433 is opened for all Splunk instances", but that's only half the story.  Does the DB server accept incoming connections from the Splunk servers?

From the Splunk server running DBX, try running traceroute to the DB server to see what it reports.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Hemnaath
Motivator

Yes I had checked with my network team about the port issue which is highlighted in the message.  But  network team confirmed me that outgoing to 1433 is opened for all Splunk instance. 

I tired to check the splunk internal logs with sourcetype=splunkd but unable to detect any error. 

can you please guide me from which log I can get the error details for troubleshooting this issue.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The error message offers a few suggestions to fix the problem.  Did you try them?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...