Splunk Enterprise

Site decommission- how to find old data?

mgoldoni
Engager

Hello,

needs to remive a site in a three sites cluster. Following the instructions in https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Indexer/Decommissionasite, and resuming the commands as follow:

- Check if cluster is in complete state
- Move Manager away from the decommissioned site
- Remove the peers in decommissioned site as receivers for UF

- Enter in maintenance mode

- Modify server.conf (manager node )
from: available_sites = site1, site2, site3  to: available_sites = site1, site2
from: site_replication_factor = origin:1,site1:1,site2:1,site3:1,total:3  to: site_replication_factor = origin:2,total:3
from: site_search_factor = origin:1, total:2  to: site_search_factor = origin:1,total:2
add: site_mappings = site3:site1

- Restart the manager
- Disable maintenance mode
- Stop splunk on each peer on the decommissioned site
- Waiting the cluster back in complete state

- Remove peers

How can i verify if all is gone as expected ? 

check buckets, query ...

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To reduce the site RF you must also reduce replication_factor.

Data on the dismissed site will not be migrated because it's already copied on each of the other two sites.  That's a result of your site_replication_factor setting.

When the site is decommissioned, the Cluster Manager will ensure a primary bucket exists somewhere in the cluster.  Once the CM says the search and replication factors are met then you are done.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your plan seems sound, although I would change the site RF to 2:2.  Using 2:3 means Splunk will store two copies of your data on one site (not always  the same site) so you'll need additional storage.  RF of 2:2 keeps your current storage usage.

---
0 Karma

mgoldoni
Engager

thanks for the answer.

Setting RF 2:2 i get this error on splunkd.log

03-28-2023 12:47:53.255 +0700 ERROR ClusteringMgr - Failure to load cluster config (server.conf) Error = site_replication_factor={ origin:1, total:2 } is less than replication_factor=3.
03-28-2023 12:47:53.256 +0700 ERROR loader - clustering initialization failed; won't start splunkd

Kindly can suggest me how to verify if an originating event from one of the peer in the dismissed site has been migrated. Using SPL with a simple query like "index=blabla "*<old-peer-name>*" doesn't give result.

Regards

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To reduce the site RF you must also reduce replication_factor.

Data on the dismissed site will not be migrated because it's already copied on each of the other two sites.  That's a result of your site_replication_factor setting.

When the site is decommissioned, the Cluster Manager will ensure a primary bucket exists somewhere in the cluster.  Once the CM says the search and replication factors are met then you are done.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...