Splunk Enterprise

Server certificate renewal failed

gc
Explorer

Hello there,

I have a problem with one of our Splunk installations on Windows. The server certificate is expired and I'm unable to renew it. I've tried renaming C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\auth\server.pem and restarting Splunk, which ends with that:

The certificate generation script did not generate the expected certificate file:C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\auth\server.pem. Splunkd port communication will not work.
SSL certificate generation failed.

And I also tried this command: C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>splunk createssl server-cert -d "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\auth" -n server -c *servername*
Which also fails with this:

CreateProcess: error 193
Command failed (ret=-1), exiting.

Anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Alex

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gc
Explorer

Thanks, I did a reinstallation. And just to be sure, I had to save + restore \var\lib\splunk
Thanks for your help, have a good day 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gc
Explorer

Hi,

anyone else with a suggestion? 😕
Thanks again, best regards

Alex

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

Try this, not sure if it will work, but worth a try. 

See if the variable is pointing to this file which contains SSL config / library's etc 

echo %OPENSSL_CONF%

Set it as below and try again. 

set OPENSSL_CONF=c:\Program Files\Splunk\openssl.cnf

0 Karma

gc
Explorer

Hi there,

thank you for your idea, but unfortunately it was not working:

gc_0-1715951156637.png

The path is correct. Is there any way to find out, why the generation is failing? Checked some logs, but couldn't find anything that was helping...

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

There may be something in splunkd.log(not sure) find this in $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk

Whats the output of this? (I'm starting to think the root cacert.pem has something to do with this.)

openssl x509 -in "c:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\auth\cacert.pem" -text -noout

Does it show its expired? may be this has something to do with it.

Try and rename that file cacert.pem or it could be ca.pem and do a restart

0 Karma

gc
Explorer

I have checked the log, there is nothing there. In fact there is only 1 log with new entries. These are the last entries from splunkd-utility.log:

05-17-2024 16:44:40.570 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - Found no hostname options in server.conf. Will attempt to use default for now.
05-17-2024 16:44:40.570 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - Host name option is "".
05-17-2024 16:44:40.570 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - TLS Sidecar disabled
05-17-2024 16:44:40.570 +0200 WARN SSLOptions - server.conf/[sslConfig]/sslVerifyServerCert is false disabling certificate validation; must be set to "true" for increased security
05-17-2024 16:44:40.570 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - No 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\auth\server.pem' certificate found. Splunkd communication will not work without this. If this is a fresh installation, this should be OK.
05-17-2024 16:44:40.586 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - disableSSLShutdown=0
05-17-2024 16:44:40.586 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - Setting search process to have long life span: enable_search_process_long_lifespan=1
05-17-2024 16:44:40.586 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - enableTeleportSupervisor=0, scsEvironment=production
05-17-2024 16:44:40.586 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - certificateStatusValidationMethod is not set, defaulting to none.
05-17-2024 16:44:40.586 +0200 INFO ServerConfig - Splunk is starting with EC-SSC disabled

cacert.pem is valid till 2027 and I have checked server.conf, which has no entry for hostname. But this seems to be normal, have checked against another installation.

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

That WARN is just for extra security.

Its still having issues with the server.pem file 

I'm out of options to check mate, consider logging a support call, or you could if this is an option to you, backup /etc/apps folder and re-install Splunk,  and restore the backed up /etc/apps folder, I know this is a drastic step...but might be quicker. 

0 Karma

gc
Explorer

Thanks, I did a reinstallation. And just to be sure, I had to save + restore \var\lib\splunk
Thanks for your help, have a good day 🙂

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

1. Check Your Admin Permissions etc 

2. Could it be AV / blocking the action - command?  

0 Karma

gc
Explorer

Hello,

thanks for replying, checked the permission and disabled AV, still the same outcome. Any other ideas?

Best regards
Alex

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...