I hva e splunk srchitecture:

1 seach 

2 indexers in cluster

1 master node/License Server

1 Moniotoring Console/Deploymen server

2 Heavy forwarders

SF=2
RF=2

I added a new indexer to cluster, after that  tryed to change the RF and SF, both to 3, but when i change the values from splunk web in the master node and restart the instance, th aplatform show me the nex message:

Picture4.png 

Picture3.png

then, I did rollabck, return SF=2 and RF=2, and evetrything normal, but the bucket status shows

evinasco08_0-1707159440094.png

I need to change the SF and RF and I need to know if this will fix the iisues with the indexes

Regards

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @evinasco08,

It may take some time for third indexer get replicated copies from other indexers and make them searchable. Did you wait enough time for this operations to finish? It is normal your search and replication factors are not met because cluster has only two copies of some buckets while migration. You could monitor this process on Bucket Status page. You should have seen a lot of pending buckets. Cluster would be a complete state after these fix-ups completed.

After rollback to RF=2 and SF=2 excess buckets are normal because cluster manager was trying to replicate buckets to match RF=3, SF=3 state, when you rollback these third copies became excess. If you want to keep RF=2, SF=2 you can simply/safely remove excess bucket from Bucket Status page. 

Setting RF and SF equal to indexer count is not a best practice. Because if any of your indexers experience problem or restart your cluster will not be able to reach complete state because missing enough peers. 

I advise keeping RF=2 and SF=2 with 3 indexers. 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @evinasco08,

You can check this document;

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.0/Indexer/Clusterstates

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @evinasco08 ,

Yes that's normal and correct.

Sorry for my typo, I edited my reply

evinasco08
Explorer

@scelikok last queston, ¿Do you have support documentation where splunk indicate that setting RF and SF equal to indexer count is not a best practice?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @evinasco08,

It may take some time for third indexer get replicated copies from other indexers and make them searchable. Did you wait enough time for this operations to finish? It is normal your search and replication factors are not met because cluster has only two copies of some buckets while migration. You could monitor this process on Bucket Status page. You should have seen a lot of pending buckets. Cluster would be a complete state after these fix-ups completed.

After rollback to RF=2 and SF=2 excess buckets are normal because cluster manager was trying to replicate buckets to match RF=3, SF=3 state, when you rollback these third copies became excess. If you want to keep RF=2, SF=2 you can simply/safely remove excess bucket from Bucket Status page. 

Setting RF and SF equal to indexer count is not a best practice. Because if any of your indexers experience problem or restart your cluster will not be able to reach complete state because missing enough peers. 

0 Karma

evinasco08
Explorer

@scelikok thank you,

Then,  is it normal that the RF and SF appears like "is Not MeT" untill finish to replicate the buckets?, thus, the master node would show "Search Factor is Met" and " Replication Factor is Met". that is correct? besides, you advise to me apply  RF=2 and SF=3, but the replication Factor cannot be less than Search Factor.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...