Splunk Enterprise

Run a custom script

syedsaadat
Observer

I came across of running a custom python script in Splunk on the triggered events by adding the run a script action but I don't know how to do it. As the alerts are visible on Splunk I want to run a script and extract those triggered alerts by running a script.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

You can create a Custom Alert Action that is backed by your python script:

Using custom alert actions - Splunk Documentation

And here's the developer details on how you need to set things up:

https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/devtools/customalertactions/

0 Karma

syedsaadat
Observer

I tried implementing slack app but unable to send alerts to splunk so can you guide me through how to use the app to send alerts without using webhook.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Where did you come across this feature?  As I recall, Splunk removed the ability to run a script as an alert action years ago.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

syedsaadat
Observer

Yes I came across that thing. So is there a alternative way to run python scripts?

0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

The old way of just running a python script as an alert action was deprecated a while back.  It was a really simple, "run script and here's the search data."  That way is old and busted...so it is not around anymore.

The new hotness is Custom Alert Actions.  You can create one that runs your python.  There's some more setup/configuration so it is registered with the system and more effort goes into packaging it up as an official configuration in Splunk (official as in you made it for your environment...).

Here is a previous discussion on this topic, too.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...