Splunk Enterprise

Pre-emptive eviction of buckets on smartstore ?

agdk
Engager

Hi

We have a splunk installation with smart store enabled. We have plenty of cache on disk, so we are no near the space padding setting.

I have seen bucket downloads from the S3, and I did not expect that. So my question is, do Splunk pre-emptive evict buckets, even if there are enough space ? I se no documentation that states it does anything else than LRU.

Regards

André

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kiran_panchavat
Communicator

@agdkIf you’re observing bucket downloads from S3 unexpectedly, it might be worth investigating further.. Verify that your SmartStore configuration is correctly set up. Ensure that the cache and cold storage volumes are properly configured.?? Confirm that the space padding setting is appropriately adjusted to avoid unnecessary eviction..?? 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/TroubleshootSmartStore?_gl=1*j14jj0*_ga*... 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kiran_panchavat
Communicator

@agdkIf you’re observing bucket downloads from S3 unexpectedly, it might be worth investigating further.. Verify that your SmartStore configuration is correctly set up. Ensure that the cache and cold storage volumes are properly configured.?? Confirm that the space padding setting is appropriately adjusted to avoid unnecessary eviction..?? 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/TroubleshootSmartStore?_gl=1*j14jj0*_ga*... 

0 Karma

agdk
Engager

Yes, it was the padding / max cache size that was the culprit. The calculation I did was wrong.

Thank you

André

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...