Splunk Enterprise

Need help with an SPL to check an Index to see list of servers it contains. Thx a million

SamHTexas
Builder

I work in a large environment, Splunk Ent + ES ( SH & Indexer clustered). I need to see what network servers are viewed / contained / monitored in any of indexes. Any help / SPLs are much appreciated.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And how would you want to distinguish those servers? Let's assume that you have several dozens of servers, each writing events via syslog to a central server from which you read those events from a file.

Your source is /var/log/whatever.log since it's read from a file. Your devices are dumb and cannot send FQDN as hostname so they only all send "router1" as name.

How would you go about deciding how many router1's are there?

It can be done in some particular cases, but in many cases - no.

Of course you can list sources or hosts from each index (that's trivial to do) but there's nothing except good practice and convention that would guarantee that such list would be complete and reliable.

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

I appreciate your help. I would like to see the list of servers's name ( machine names). I believe this list of servers would show that they are being monitored correct? So, is there a SPL you may share that would show mw this list of servers? We do have about 100 indexes. Thanks buddy.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

Index =*|stats count by host

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...