Splunk Enterprise

Moving a TA from dev to prod

jwhughes58
Contributor

I'm trying to figure out why I get a 404 error in setup after I move a TA from my dev to prod environment.  The TA works in dev.  I tar ball it and move it to prod.  Before turning it on in prod I remove local/passwords.conf.  I then start the TA.  When I go to the TA setup I get a 404 not found error.  I look in dev:8089 and find the information.  It isn't in prod:8089.

To me it seems there should be a process that reads setup.xml at install, translates the information into Rest API entries, and runs the commands to enter the information into the back end.  If anything fails it should generate an error.  I couldn't find an error.

Is there something I'm missing?

TIA

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you transfer the app you must remove all files from the local directory.  Settings in local tell Splunk the app is already configured and so prevent it from being re-configured in Prod.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

jwhughes58
Contributor

Thanks.  With that information I was able to prove that your suggestion works in my UAT environment.  I also removed meta.local since I downloaded a Splunk written TA, untarred, and looked at the files.  No local directory.  No local.meta.  After doing that in UAT and restarting, the local directory was created as was the local.meta.  When I ran the setup it created the local passwords.conf.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you transfer the app you must remove all files from the local directory.  Settings in local tell Splunk the app is already configured and so prevent it from being re-configured in Prod.

---

jwhughes58
Contributor

Hi Rich,

Is there a document that I didn't find that explains that?

TIA,

Joe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is not well documented.  See https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/testvalidate/appinspect/appinspectreferencetopics... for the perhaps the best list of things to do to prepare an app to move to another instance.  A lot of it is over-kill for an in-house app, however.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...