Splunk Enterprise

Masking credit card number and expiration date for a specific field using SEDCMD

brahma9030
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Would you kindly assist us in hiding the credit card number and expiration date for the following field some ab

n required YES Accommodation [Bucharest] 5 Nights – Novotel Bucharest HDFC Master card number 1234 4567 0009 2321 Expiry Date of HDFC card 01/26 Any other relevant info Thanks and Regards, Murali. From

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What have you tried so far and how did those attempts not meet expectations?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

brahma9030
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm appreciative of your response. I tried the one below, but it contains more information than just the credit card number. I'm wondering how I can mask the field value contains the credit card number and expiration date along with some information in the field.

Fieldname: abcd
field value :n required YES Accommodation [Bucharest] 5 Nights – Novotel Bucharest HDFC Master card number 1234 4567 0002 4786 Expiry Date of HDFC card 02/28 Any other relevant info Thanks and Regards, santhosh. From

SEDCMD-accmasking = s/abcd=(.)(\d{4}-){3}(\d{4})/cc=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-\2/

But to be honest this  part in Splunk I am not bit confident. could you please help me 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The cited SEDCMD is looking for the literal text "abcd=", which doesn't exist in the sample event.  Therefore, the card number will not be masked.  It's also looking for groups of 4 digits separated by hyphens, which also is not in the sample event.  SEDCMD looks at the raw event rather than  a specific field.

Try this

SEDCMD=accmasking = s/card number \d{4} \d{4} \d{4} (\d{4})/card number xxxx xxxx xxxx \1/

---
0 Karma

brahma9030
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Actually the field abcd is already extracted but that field contains all the values including credit card number and expiry date example like below:

abcd="n required YES Accommodation [Bucharest] 5 Nights – Novotel Bucharest HDFC Master card number 1234 4567 0002 4786 Expiry Date of HDFC card 02/28 Any other relevant info Thanks and Regards, santhosh. From"

abcd="n required YES Accommodation [Bucharest] 5 Nights – Novotel Bucharest HDFC Master card number 2345 3333 0012 0405 Expiry Date of HDFC card 06/29 Any other relevant info QATAR FARE IS INR 122645 /-ONWARD"

abcd="n required YES Accommodation [Bucharest] 6 Nights – Novotel Bucharest HDFC Master card number 2323 2324 0010 0600 Expiry Date of HDFC card 06/34 Any other relevant info [cid:image001.png@01DA4ACD.FF6"

so the data already extracted in one field called abcd , so I want to mask credit card number except last 4 digits and expiry date.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by "the field abcd is already extracted"?

Remember that most of the fields you work with in Splunk are so called "search-time" extractions which means that they are extracted dynamically when you are searching and displaying the data while SEDCMD works in so called "index-time" which means _before_ the data is written to Splunk's indexes. SEDCMD as @richgalloway pointed out does not know anything about the search-time extracted fields so you can't rely on their values.

SEDCMD is a regex-based text substitution which works on the _raw data. There is no concept of field here whatsoever.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the clarification, but the regex you provided still doesn't match the data.  Did you try the one I gave?

---
0 Karma

brahma9030
Loves-to-Learn Lots

yes I have tried this one like below but still it  is not masking the data.

| rex field=abcd mode=sed "s/card number \d{4}\d{4}\d{4}(\d{4})/card number xxxx xxxx xxxx \1/"

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's not the same regex as the one I provided.  Spaces are significant. Here's a variation with more explicit spaces.

SEDCMD-accmasking = s/card number \d{4}\s\d{4}\s\d{4}\s(\d{4})/card number xxxx xxxx xxxx \1/

---
0 Karma

brahma9030
Loves-to-Learn Lots

This is another that I tried, but it doesn't seem to be working.Will the masking apply to fields that have already been extracted during the search process?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SEDCMD applies at index time and only to new events.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...