Splunk Enterprise

Is there SPL to hard code search mode?

efavreau
Motivator

I am working on documentation which requires users to check if they are in a certain mode (fast, smart, verbose) before continuing. Is there an undocumented SPL trick to hard code the search mode?

Similar to using earliest or latest in SPL instead of the time picker, I am looking to see if we can hard code the search mode in SPL.

I am aware you can do this as URL parameters, i.e. &display.page.search.mode=fast ". However that and admin-type stuff isn't going to work for my needs.

I'm in version >=6.5. Here's where I've looked for details, but found none:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.3/Search/Changethesearchmode
https://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Searchmode

Thanks!

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Hey@efavreau,

You can try this:

Try to change ui-prefs.conf
[yourappname]
display.page.search.mode = fast

for e.g.,

[search]
display.page.search.mode = fast

Let me know if this helps!!

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

Thanks for the comment @deepashri. I've updated the question to reflect the admin-type stuff isn't going to work for my needs. Looking for something that probably doesn't exist, but had to ask.

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

I guess cannot specify the search mode from search query - Found the paramter adhoc_search_level is the one set for each search modes (as fast/verbose/smart) - you can see from the search job inspector ,

I can run query from CLI like below and can get results - but cannot pass arg. as like this in search app.

D:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>splunk.exe search "index=*|head 1" -preview true -ad
hoc_search_level fast
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...