Splunk Enterprise

Index to lookup match IP address- Why is "target_ip" not showing up on table?

ATEsiveL
Observer

Hello all, Hoping someone may be able to help. I have an internal tool I have an export from in the from of a CSV that has a column named ip. I uploaded this as a inputlookup (name.csv). I verifed I can see the ip information by |inputlookup (name.csv) and the rows of IP addresses show.

I have a base search that returns data , and I want to see if any of the src, or dest IP's from my search match the IP addresses listed in my name.csv. I keep running into a search, that returns a few thousand events, although I can search the event between src, and dest and it shows without the lookup.

Currently my search looks like this:

(index=name1 OR index=name2 OR index=name3) src_ip_country=United States action=allowed

| stats count by  src, dest

| sort count

| reverse

| lookup name.csv ip OUTPUT target_ip

| table target_ip, src, dest

This search provides me a tabled output with src, and dest fields populated, but nothing in the "target_ip" field.  Any ideas? Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I guess I should have been more explicit in my first reply. Since the lookup commands are returning target_ip as src_target_ip or dest_target_ip there no longer is a target_ip field for the table command to display.

Also, the count is not displayed because the table command did not specify it.  That's not related to the lookups.

(index=name1 OR index=name2 OR index=name3) src_ip_country=United States action=allowed
| sort - count
| lookup name.csv ip AS src OUTPUT target_ip AS src_target_ip
| lookup name.csv ip AS dest OUTPUT target_ip AS dest_target_ip
| table src_target_ip, src, dest_target_ip, dest, count

BTW, there's no need for reverse after sort if you sort in descending order.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ATEsiveL
Observer

Thank you for the response. I made this modification this morning, and am still having the same results. No data from the lookup being placed in the target_ip field to determine if there was a match. There may be a better method of trying to match this data, this is just what I had came up with originally. Also, after I added the lookup I am no longer getting the stats count on the right side, or the sort.  Sorry if this is an easy question, I am new to lookup matching. Thank you.

| sort count
| reverse
| lookup name.csv ip AS src OUTPUT target_ip AS src_target_ip
| lookup name.csv ip AS dest OUTPUT target_ip AS dest_target_ip
| table target_ip, src, dest

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The lookup is failing because there is no 'ip' field in the indexed data to look up.  Use the as option to tell lookup where to find the field.

| lookup name.csv ip as src OUTPUT target_ip as src_target_ip
| lookup name.csv ip as dest OUTPUT target_ip as dest_target_ip

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...