Splunk Enterprise

How to update an app that had a name change

swellerrific
Explorer

Howdy fellow Splunkers!

I have tried to find a previous article but I must be missing it if there is one. I need help as I am doing some app/add-on updates for the first time and hit a roadblock.

I have an app installed currently and the app folder in deployment-apps is titled: forescout-app-for-splunk_291 and the new one is called forescout-app-for-splunk. They took off the version number.  I was not the one who installed the first one so I'm not sure what their thinking was.

I am using a Deployment Server and can't figure out how to get it to replace the version one with the non version one. If I just install it like a new app, then both are on the SH and I am afraid of losing any config from the first app.

Oh man, I really hope that made sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Azeemering
Builder

Yeah you are making sense, but your thoughts are too complex 🙂

How would you normally update an app? (hint default and local folders...right)

There are several methods to do this. But I would just rename the old app folder on the deployer forescout-app-for-splunk_291to forescout-app-for-splunk and do a bundle apply to the Search Head(s).

Now you have you the same foldernames for both the old and new app. Next update the app as you would normally.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

Yeah you are making sense, but your thoughts are too complex 🙂

How would you normally update an app? (hint default and local folders...right)

There are several methods to do this. But I would just rename the old app folder on the deployer forescout-app-for-splunk_291to forescout-app-for-splunk and do a bundle apply to the Search Head(s).

Now you have you the same foldernames for both the old and new app. Next update the app as you would normally.

0 Karma

swellerrific
Explorer

Thank you! That is what I wasn't sure about. I appreciate your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...