Splunk Enterprise

How to not include a pattern when line merging?

ricotries
Communicator

I have a log from an application that isn't structured in any standard format and I am struggling with dropping certain lines at index time due to the line merging configuration.

This is a pseudo sample of the data:

----- <application version> -----
(<timestamp>) <data> 
(<timestamp>) <data>

(<timestamp>) <data> 
(<timestamp>) <data>

(<timestamp>) <data> 
(<timestamp>) <data>
<data>
<data>
<data>
(<timestamp>) <data>

As you can see, for some events the message is broken down into multiple lines, so the best way to break events would be by the timestamp, so this is the props.conf I wrote for this source type:

[my_new_sourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = true
TRANSFORMS-drop_header = new_sourcetype_drop_header

And the associated transforms.conf:

[new_sourcetype_drop_header]
REGEX = ^-{5}.+-{5}$
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

The issue becomes that when the data is indexed, any event that would have been the <application version> header by itself is dropped, but then there are events with a linecount of 2 that look like:

(<timestamp>) <data>

How do I force it so that the <application version> header is always made into its own event so that it can be dropped by the transforms configuration?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather than breaking only before a date, try breaking before a date OR a header.

[my_new_sourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(<<timestamp regex>>|-{5})
TIME_FORMAT = <<timestamp regex>>
TIME_PREFIX = \(

Be sure to replace <<timestamp regex>> with a regular expression that matches your timestamp strings.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather than breaking only before a date, try breaking before a date OR a header.

[my_new_sourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(<<timestamp regex>>|-{5})
TIME_FORMAT = <<timestamp regex>>
TIME_PREFIX = \(

Be sure to replace <<timestamp regex>> with a regular expression that matches your timestamp strings.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...