Splunk Enterprise

How to count distinct values of a multi value field

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I have a weird requirement where I have to count the distinct values of a multi value field. So I have a xml where a particular node can appear one time or multiple times and there are many nodes like this.

How do i count the distinct number of nodes using a request ID? Basically I am looking something like this -

request IDnodesCount

networkpremise

networkdetails

mysubscription

networkpremise

networkdetails

mysubscription

And so on..  

Not exactly like above but if there are some other interpretations which can give a better view please let me know. I've looked into some of the posts like this but the solution has not worked for me

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Can-I-get-a-count-of-distinct-values-in-multivalue-fie...

Let me know if someone can help on this. This is my query which I was trying to do from the above referebnc

index=test_prod MyServiceGateway "SoapMessage Incoming"
| rex field=_raw "\<(?<nodes>[^\>]+)\>\s+?\<action\>" max_match=0
| rex field=_raw "\>(?<requestID>[^\<]+)\<\/ns:requestID>" max_match=0
| table requestID nodes
| untable requestID field value 
| makemv delim="," value
| mvexpand value
| stats count by requestID field value
| eval pair=value." (".count.")"
| stats list(pair) as values by requestID field

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to give an example of your own data so we can help translate that to your desired output but probably something like

| stats count by requestId node
| stats list(node) as nodes list(count) as count by requestId

but that will depend somewhat on your data

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...