Splunk Enterprise

How to count distinct values of a multi value field

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I have a weird requirement where I have to count the distinct values of a multi value field. So I have a xml where a particular node can appear one time or multiple times and there are many nodes like this.

How do i count the distinct number of nodes using a request ID? Basically I am looking something like this -

request IDnodesCount

networkpremise

networkdetails

mysubscription

networkpremise

networkdetails

mysubscription

And so on..  

Not exactly like above but if there are some other interpretations which can give a better view please let me know. I've looked into some of the posts like this but the solution has not worked for me

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Can-I-get-a-count-of-distinct-values-in-multivalue-fie...

Let me know if someone can help on this. This is my query which I was trying to do from the above referebnc

index=test_prod MyServiceGateway "SoapMessage Incoming"
| rex field=_raw "\<(?<nodes>[^\>]+)\>\s+?\<action\>" max_match=0
| rex field=_raw "\>(?<requestID>[^\<]+)\<\/ns:requestID>" max_match=0
| table requestID nodes
| untable requestID field value 
| makemv delim="," value
| mvexpand value
| stats count by requestID field value
| eval pair=value." (".count.")"
| stats list(pair) as values by requestID field

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to give an example of your own data so we can help translate that to your desired output but probably something like

| stats count by requestId node
| stats list(node) as nodes list(count) as count by requestId

but that will depend somewhat on your data

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...