Splunk Enterprise

Exclude Old data

Sree
Loves-to-Learn

Hi,

I'm trying to exclude events that have an old timestamp in a url which look like this - 

{"timestamp": 1626739199.964, "c-ip": "178.245.92.14", "time-to-first-byte": 0.002, "sc-status": 404, "sc-bytes": 467, "cs-method": "GET", "cs-protocol": "https", "cs-host": "xxxxxxx", "cs-uri-stem": "/out/v1/bac5ea7d5e06476598d34ba48b3f1bd1/index_8_0.m3u8?start=2021-07-16T16:40:07+00:00",

here timestamp and the start date are different.So is there any way to index the events have start date as current day.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Convert the start date to epoch form then filter on it.

... | eval startDate=strptime(start,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z")
| where startDate>=relative_time(now(), "@d")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Sree
Loves-to-Learn

Hi @richgalloway 

Thanks for the reply but  your answer is for the splunk events that got already indexed.

I'm trying to filter the data at the sourcetype level before it gets indexed.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, misunderstood the question.  Filtering at index time requires a transform that sends data to nullQueue.  The trick (for which I don't have an answer) is writing a regex that matches the current day without having to change it every day.  I'm not sure it's possible.  Perhaps Cribl can do it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...