Splunk Enterprise

Event annotation for the min and max value of a field

nikitha15
Explorer

Hey everyone. I have never tried creating event annotation before so i am not able to grasp it properly. 

I want to show a line for both min and max values of a date field. For ex.

Dates.                                     Target

6/09/2020.                                X

6/10/2020.                                X

.                                                .

.                                                .

6/23/2020.                                 X

So the min and max values i.e 6/09/2020 and 6/23/2020 of dates field should be shown as lines (event annotation) .

For now the dates in between shouldn't display but later i should be able to add data for any dates and it should show as line or area chart.

And the event annotation should display target x and the date when we hover on that.

All the examples i have seen of annotations are using timecharts . I want something like the mock image below.

IMG_20200618_171852__01.jpg

Any help would be great.Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

thellmann
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @nikitha15 - just ran into the exact same problem. Let me show you what I did just for max using a search that anyone can run on their own Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Cloud deployment. 

Main search is like so: 

index = _internal sourcetype IN (splunk_web_access, splunkd_access) 
| timechart span=h count by sourcetype

Annotation search is like so: 

| eval total = splunk_web_access + splunkd_access
| stats max(total)
| rename max(total) as Max
| map search="search index = _internal sourcetype IN (splunk_web_access, splunkd_access) | timechart span=h count by sourcetype | eval total = splunk_web_access + splunkd_access | search total=$Max$"
| eval annotation_label = "Max interactions occurred at " + strftime(_time, "%H:%M:%S") + " - total of " + total + " interactions."
| fields _time, annotation_label, total

I used  map to pull out just the timespan associated with the max number of events - someone better at SPL could probably find a better approach. Note that in SimpleXML dashboards you have to use $$ around the map replacement token instead of $ in the search bar. 

To show the whole dashboard: 

<dashboard>
<label>Test for nikitha15</label>
<row>
<panel>
<chart>
<search>
<query>
| timechart count by sourcetype span=h
</query>
<earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
<latest>now</latest>
</search>
<search type="annotation">
<query>
| eval total = splunk_web_access + splunkd_access
| stats max(total)
| rename max(total) as Max
| map search="search index = _internal sourcetype IN (splunk_web_access, splunkd_access) | timechart span=h count by sourcetype | eval total = splunk_web_access + splunkd_access | search total=$$Max$$"
| eval annotation_label = "Max interactions occurred at " + strftime(_time, "%H:%M:%S") + " - total of " + total + " interactions."
| fields _time, annotation_label, total
</query>
<earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
<latest>now</latest>
</search>
</chart>
</panel>
</row>
</dashboard> 

Let me know if that's not quite answering your question. 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...