Splunk Enterprise

Drop events based on Syslog Severity at Ingest

mnietert
Engager

Hey all,

I've added the following to props.conf to parse out PRI from _raw, and Severity/Facility codes from PRI. 

<p>props.conf<br>
[syslog]<br>
EXTRACT-PRI = ^<(?P<PRI>\d+)<br>
LOOKUP-syslog_facility = syslog_facility "Facility-code" AS "Facility-Code" OUTPUTNEW Facility AS Facility<br>
EVAL-Facility-Code = (PRI - (PRI % 8)) / 8<br>
EVAL-Severity-Code = PRI % 8<br>
LOOKUP-syslog_severity = syslog_severity "Sev-code" AS "Severity-Code" OUTPUTNEW Severity AS Severity</p>

Now, we'd like to drop events if the Severity-Level is not above a certain level (for example, we'd like to drop all debug messages at ingest). I know that first we will have to convert the Severity/Facility codes from EVAL to INGEST_EVAL values so that we can operate on their values at ingest, but what is the best way to filter all messages that are say, Severity-Code>=6 (dropping info and debug.) I was thinking of applying another transform with a REGEX command that forwards to a null queue, but it doesn't look like there's any great boolean evaluators available in transforms. In search I could just use WHERE Severity_Code>6, but that's not available at ingest...

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have a REGEX that identifies the events you want to discard then use it in transforms.conf.  You are correct, though, when you say one cannot use expressions like foo>6 in regular expressions.

You should find it easier to use your syslog server (rsylog or syslog-ng) to do the filtering.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...